Drought Meetings Scheduled in Six Southern Iowa Locations
note: pdf files open in new window/tab
WASHINGTON, Iowa – With much of south central Iowa under moderate drought and a few counties classified as severe drought, conditions are causign major concerns for crop and livestock producers. To help address those concerns, Iowa State University Extension and Outreach is hosting six meetings across southern Iowa from Aug. 7-9.
All meetings are free and there's no preregistration. Each meeting is expected to last about 90 minutes.
These meetings will include presentations by Iowa State University Extension and Outreach field specialists, and in some locations Farm Service Agency county executives and crop insurance providers. FSA representatives will share information on drought programs available if a county meets the reliability requirements.
Meeting sponsors include CPS in Bloomfield and Son Risk Management from Ottumwa.
Topics presented by Iowa State Extension specialists are the same, but individual presenters may vary by location.
- Crop growth and development under drought conditions -- Rebecca Vittetoe, extension field agronomist
- Feeding drought damaged crops, including issues with drought silage -- Patrick Wall or Joe Sellers, extension beef specialists
- Information on crop insurance considerations -- Charles Brown, extension farm management specialist
Also, producers are invited to bring five representative cornstalk samples for a quick nitrate assessment. This will start approximately 45 minutes before each meeting, and will continue after the meeting as needed. The event flyer has information for all locations.
Meeting dates, times, locations and contacts:
- Aug. 7, 1:30 p.m. – Roberts Memorial Building, Memorial Building, 20497 Hwy 1, Keosauqua.
Contact the Van Buren County Extension Office at 319-293-3039.
- Aug. 7, 6:30 p.m. – ISU Extension and Outreach Wapello County Office, 13011 120th Ave, Ottumwa.
Contact the Wapello County Extension Office at 319-293-3039.
- Aug. 8, 1:30 p.m. – Davis County Fairgrounds, Fair Hall, 20471 Old Hwy 2, Bloomfield.
Contact the Davis County Extension Office at 641-664-2730.
- Aug. 8, 6:30 p.m. – ISU Extension and Outreach Monroe County Office, 219 B Ave West, Albia.
Contact the Monroe County Extension Office at 641-932-5612.
- Aug. 9, 1:30 p.m. – ISU Extension and Outreach Wayne County Office, 220 East Jefferson Street, Corydon.
Contact the Wayne County Extension Office at 641-872-1755.
- Aug. 9, 6:30 p.m. – ISU Extension and Outreach Mahaska County Office, 212 N I St., Oskaloosa.
Contact the Mahaska County Extension Office at 641-673-5841.
For questions about the meetings, contact any of the following Iowa State Extension specialists:
- Rebecca Vittetoe, 319-653-4811 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Joe Sellers, 641-203-1270 or email@example.com
- Patrick Wall, 515-450-7556 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Charles Brown, 515-240-9214 or email@example.com
The Iowa Beef Center at Iowa State University was established in 1996 with the goal of supporting the growth and vitality of the state’s beef cattle industry. It comprises faculty and staff from Iowa State University Extension and Outreach, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences and College of Veterinary Medicine, and works to develop and deliver the latest research-based information regarding the beef cattle industry. For more information about IBC, visit www.iowabeefcenter.org.